About your appointment :-
Please book a telephone appointment with one of our specialist practice nurses.
If you are taking oral steroids, please drop in a urine sample ahead of your telephone consultation.
During your appointment the nurse will discuss with you:
– Smoking History and Cessation advice if applicable
– Height & Weight = BMI
– Blood Pressure
– Inhaler Technique
– Lifestyle Advice
– Advice r.e. seasonal vaccinations.
Causes and triggers
Asthma is caused by swelling (inflammation) of the breathing tubes that carry air in and out of the lungs. This makes the tubes highly sensitive, so they temporarily narrow.
It may occur randomly or after exposure to a trigger.
Common asthma triggers include:
- allergies (to house dust mites, animal fur or pollen, for example)
- smoke, pollution and cold air
- infections like colds or flu
Identifying and avoiding your asthma triggers can help you keep your symptoms under control.